Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quilting Free Motion


Machine Quilting Negative Space 

Craftsy education online with 

Angela Walters

Learning basic and advanced free motion design, this class is great. 


 

Here the  lesson was practicing circles and integrating it within the diameters for small and scaling it to size with combination of designs

In the class we are learning muscle memory. Practicing on paper helps connect in the brain as well as muscle control before actually going to the machine and quilting it.

 

 

 

 

I believe I needed to practice alot before I could actually get into a quilt and start doing free motion designing. Angela pointed out during her instruction for class that the best way to practice is actually on a quilt vs. small sandwiches.

I had read alot about making a quilt and what to do, so, as you can see on the right. I did finish my quilt top.. Now ... what next.

I had started Micheal Miller Night Fairy Quilt. Had no clue at that time or understand of what a quilt journey would be.

So far it has been a very educating journey. Mistakes have been made and some had to be rectified. This is my first quilt. So, not knowing everything, I decided to spray baste my quilt with temporary adhesive to wool batting. 

Needless to say, I was so proud of myself, until, I hooked up my walking foot and said ready boots, these boots are made for walking,, lol... little humor, but anyway. Did my stitching in the ditch, with clear thread. Was looking nice, but there were puckers appearing, being a perfectionist, we could not have that, so, I decided to go and Iron my WOOL batted top,,, MISTAKE...... DO NOT IRON WOOL BATTING UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED. It matted my quilt together. Tears of anger and sadness arose.

Ok, well, this was going to be the best quilt in the world thought I would have to throw it out, then my quilting friend Zona told me what to do to save the quilt. It entailed going back and ripping out my stitch in the ditch on clear thread. Well, I wanted this bad enough, so I did. Will make a note not to do that again.

I had been taking several classes on craftsy.com on quilting and free motion, there are some good instructors on there. Some just like to brag about themselves, but I was fortunate enough to find two good classes with thorough 
instructions and hands on experience to put me back on the right track.

Machine Quilting Negative Space with Angela Walters

Beyond Basic Machine Quilting with Ann Petersen

another good class from her as well is here as follows

Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine with Ann Petersen

Meanwhile back at the house, I am practicing on my quilt. 

To get better at drawing, last night we bought me some markers and a sketch pad.

 I suck at drawing, unless it is a stick person. I guess I am more a Picaso, lol... when it comes to my drawings.

My husband even teases me and asks me what is  that you are drawing or he says attempting to draw.. lol.....






Here is another drawing, or sketch for free motion from the class Negative space, that I would like to attempt in free motion.





This is my actual work that I have gotten done on my Micheal Miller Night Fairy quilt in free motion. I was scared, but, it is only fabric, So, go for it,,, I did,, I was really proud of myself for my accomplishment so far,





Well, I will post more on the progress of this quilt as my quilting journey grows. If you are interested, please check out the craftsy.com site. They have great classes on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment